MEDIA RELEASE 9 May 2017
Dr David Goldney, in association with Greening Bathurst, was presented the inaugural Chifley Heritage Award on Saturday, 5 May.
The Chifley Heritage award is the local component of the Bathurst Region Heritage Awards and is awarded to a project that demonstrates an outstanding contribution to the built, natural or cultural heritage of the Bathurst Region.
‘Cox’s Road Dreaming’ by Dr David Goldney, in association with Greening Bathurst, was recognised with the Chifley Award for the most outstanding project. It is a terrific guide book that tells the story of the natural and cultural heritage along Cox's Road, Australia's first inland European ‘road’, built by William Cox linking Macquarie’s Flag Staff at Bathurst to Emu Ford on the Nepean River.
Mayor Graeme Hanger OAM praised all the entrants for their commitment to local heritage.
“The commitment and efforts of people and groups dedicated to heritage goes a long way to the preservation and retention of our local heritage and helps to create a vibrant city,” he said.
“As a community we share the responsibility to identify and respect our local heritage items and pass these values to future generations so they will understand what came before them.”
Iain McPherson, Chairperson of the National Trust, Bathurst said the awards were a wonderful celebration of the contribution by the community to protecting, enhancing and promoting the heritage of the Bathurst Region.
“It was a highly successful collaboration between the National Trust, Bathurst, and Bathurst Regional Council,” he said.
Fran White of the Bathurst Region Heritage Awards organising committee said the judging panel was impressed with the range and quality of the projects.
“The community owes a debt of gratitude to Dr David Goldney and his collaborators who have seized a never to be repeated opportunity and created a high quality resource of long-term and enduring value,” she said.
The recipients were:
Certificate of recognition
· Golden Diggers Book - Hill End & Tambaroora Gathering Group
· 70 Rocket Street & 72 Rocket Street - Steve Watts of Watts Build
· Agriculture Research Station Heritage Listing - Bathurst & District Branch, National Trust
· 253 Howick Street - additions to Steele & Co Buildings - Ryan Cooney
· A Line of Bonnets - Bathurst Family History Group
· Down Busby Street; Neighbourhood Recipes from Elizabeth Chifley’s Collection (late) Angie Peard
· Bathurst Cemetery and Family History - Restoration of a Place, Research, Education, Interpretation and Information - Bathurst Family History Group
· Hill End & Tambaroora Gathering Group Website - Hill End & Tambaroora Gathering Group
· William Cottages at 10 & 12 William Street Restoration, Rebuild & Infill at 16 William Street - Steve & Tammy Bennett
· 62 Morrisset Street Restoration - Libby Loneragan
· Cox’s Road Dreaming - David Goldney and Greening Bathurst
· Experience Heritage Bathurst Brochures - Bathurst & District Branch, National Trust
· Hill End Heritage Centre - National Parks & Wildlife Service